Many of you have asked what my fondest memory was.... Well here it is.....
My fondest memory, while a good memory is a bit emotive!! Most Christmas' we would go to Nan and Pops for Christmas Day lunch. We also had many BBQ's with them throughout the Summer holidays. I went as a child and then my own family continued to go most years when I married and Alex and Georgia were born.... Nan would boss and fuss around as only a Nan can and Pop would sneak down to the garage for a beer or 3 under the guise of getting something from the freezer or to cook our meat on the BBQ- usually hamburgers and sausages from Charlie Russells...depending on the occasion. I can still see Nan standing there in her homemade frilly apron growling about "Bruce" needing to hurry up... Poppy Bruce (as we all called him) would shrug and make some funny gesture while teasing someone on the way inside.
Everyone always felt welcome, we all talked at once and there was always yummy things to eat- Nuts and Bolts, Raspberry Surprise, Homemade puddings and biscuits....
Unfortunately both Nan and Pop have gone in the last few years so Christmas is a bit hollow for us... We all miss them dearly, they really held our family together.....Some of us younger ones are trying to recreate "family get-togethers" but they are just not the same...

7 comments:
lovely story Catherine I'm sure your fond memories will stay with you forever.....congrats on winning a xmas in July giveaway, well done.
cheers
maree
What A lovely story CatherineIts nice That you think of them with so many kind thoughts Thev will always be with you in your heart.
Hugs Mary.
PS I make nuts and bolts for all my family at Xmas.
Thats a lovely memory Cathy. The photos are wonderful.
Love Leanne xx
It is such a lovely memory! Thanks for sharing it with us.
What I realize as I'm getting older is that such memories are like blessings to me, they make me smile and also give me strength.
awwww, your memory brings a little tear to my eyes, such a lovely memory. Grandparents are something special.
That's so lovely Cathy, thank you for sharing. I know what you mean too, and it's wonderful that you have these memories. Hopefully one day when the girls have their own families something of that spirit will be rekindled!
:o)
That's lovely Cathy. THe photos are really special.
I am proud of you - trying to recreate Christmas feels for your own family.
Loz
Post a Comment