Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Pocketful of Christmas

I have had to spend the last 3 days in bed as I have managed to pinch a nerve in my lower back. It is getting better now, but it was a little tricky to walk for a few days. Not a very nice feeling actually, I felt very useless and everything was such a huge effort. And before you all jump to the wrong conclusion I did it rearranging furniture!!!!!
There was of course a few benefits to having to recline in bed all day. I finished reading a book, I watched the entire Season 1 of The Tudors and I managed to complete the following Toyshop stitchery.


All of these following stitcheries are from a Bronwyn Hayes quilt called A Pocketful of Christmas and I have been working on the stitcheries from the quilt on and off for about 18 months. I only had the Toyshop and 1 Angel stitchery to complete so I decided it was high time I removed it from my UFO list.





Above are the other stitcheries from this quilt. I am not planning to put the quilt together as Bronwyn did and I am currently setting it out and working out how I will build it. I have also made 4 pieced blocks to add to the design. I am using one of my favourite fabrics- Moda's Chocolat.
So stay tuned...hopefully it will be in one piece very shortly!!

15 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh, tough luck, backs can be such a pain. Do you visit a chiropractor? I've been visiting one for some years now and he has, quite literally, transformed my life. I love the little stitcheries, they'll look really special for Christmas.

Scottish Nanna said...

Hope your back is feeling better now I did that once and its very sore so I know what you have gone through.I just love your stitcheriesthey are Gorgeous Wouldent mind doing that one myself.
Hugs Mary.

Rose Johnston said...

Hope your feeling better sweetie!! Your stitcheries r gorgeous and I love Chocolat!! Cant wait to see this finished!!
Hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing!! Love the embroidery, I have made quite a few of the angels, thwey must have been in an older Handmade magazine. Of course yours are just too lovely!!! Hope you are feeling better soon and that you are being waited on hand and foot!!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Hope your back pain settles down quickly!! Love your Christmas stitcheries - especially love the gingerbread man one!

Days and colors said...

Sorry to hear you were having back problems, I hope you are getting better by now. Your stitcheries are so lovely! And the fabrics are beautiful,you will have a pretty Christmas quilt!

Stina Blomgren said...

I love this quilt by Bronwyn...I must ask...where can I get the pattern for this one..I have tried for many years...but never found it...hope you can help!!!I hope you get better soon... take care...

RG said...

Oh Cathy, they're lovely!!
Don't you just love Bronwyn Hayes' stuff...always quirky and wonderful...they're totally my 'cup of tea' too. Lovely work!!
Do hope your back is feeling much better now...pinched nerves are horrid.
Take care xx

Fer said...

Bummer! Hope you're feeling better now - at least it let you do more stitching!

Ooo, you have The Tudors on DVD? I might try and borrow it off you if I'm allowed!

See you tonight, Jen :o)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

What a bummer...I do hope you are feeling much better now....love all your stitcheries, they are gorgeous...

Anonymous said...

Hope you mend fast and feel better. That quilt is ADORABLE! Love those blocks :o)

Am hoping you received my e-mail regarding the NPNT quilt blog. Let me know if you haven't!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love your embroidery! I hadn't seen this pattern and it's a wonderful one. blessings, marlene

Leanne said...

Oh bad luck about the the back but it's not all bad if you can stitch. Love the finished stitcheries.

Sarah said...

Thats terrible Cathy!! Nothing worse than a bad back (hurt mine at work once). Hope you are well on the mend now :o) At least something posistve came out of it..... love your stitcheries and the Chocolat fabrics are one of my 'favourites' as well.... that star in a star looks very effective
x Sarah

Christine said...

Sorry to hear you were unwell. Hope your back is better now. Your stitcheries are beautiful. They will look fantastic with the Chocolat fabrics ... one of my favourite ranges too. Looking forward to seeing how you put the quilt together.