Saturday, April 25, 2009

ANZAC DAY

ANZAC Day is a special family day for me. As a young girl I can remember many years of ANZAC days where we would go to either the Dawn Service or the 11 o'clock town march to watch my Pop march with his mates. We would go to these ceremonies and then have lunch together either at my Nan and Pops house or in later years have a counter meal in town at one of the local Pubs.
My memories are bitter sweet as both my Grandparents have now gone.
This year Fiona and I decided it was time to begin our own tradition for our families. So Fiona, Alex, Georgia, our Mum and myself all marched with Issi's school group. Nathan and Ruby also marched, but with Nathan's school group, and Andrew of course was with the Pipe Band.
Here is Miss Issi proudly holding an Aussie flag with her friend India.
This is Andrew wearing his Dads medals and in Full Scottish dress. St Andrews Pipe Band lead the parade this year.
After the parade we all went to our house and prepared lunch. Grandma and Alex made delicious sandwiches and I made some zucchini soup.

We all helped make some traditional ANZAC biscuits. Some helped more than others....I think Fiona and Issi managed to eat at least half of the mixture before it became biscuits though...

The mixture that did survive turned into yummy biscuits!
I had a lovely morning, it was so nice working with mum and the girls in the kitchen and I think we may have began our own, new ANZAC Day tradition! ANZAC day is such an important tradition and I hope we can repeat this tradition for years to come!!

8 comments:

Melinda said...

For me, Anzac Day is about respect, and your day sounds perfect for teaching kids that. Great tradition.

Scottish Nanna said...

Love all your photos Im glad you had a good day the photo of your hubby made me homesick.
Hugs Mary.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate Anzac Day! Lest we forget.

trash said...

biscuits and marching - a well spent ANZAC Day. Next year you can teach the kids two-up ;-)

Myra said...

Sounds like a wonderful family day spent in rememberance... Great photos.

Fer said...

That sounds wonderful Cathy. It's great when we can start new traditions in order to remember the old ones.

manda said...

Your Day sounds wonderful! I hope you keep the tradition alive too! Thankyou to your Pop...Brave men, all of them!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

So lovely that you shared your day! Traditions are so important - my kids are constantly heard to say, "...and remember we do 'this' on 'that' day every year!" So I cannot drop a single tradition I've begun! Your hubby looks awesome, btw - I love bagpipes!