Sunday, October 28, 2012

More Happy Purchases

I have been on the lookout for a treadle sewing machine
to have in my new sewing-room for a while now and this past week I have happened to come across 2 and both ended up in my carboot!
Andrew didnt believe me when I told him I didnt know where the second one had come from and that it just magically appeared in my car, go figure???



 This first one came from my friend and work collegue, Gene. She is tired of having it at her house and I was more than happy to have it at mine. It is a 1917 A.N.A model and comes with a Certificate of Warranty that says a Mrs W J Mason purchased it in Launceston on the 30th May 1918. Thats pretty cool!



 The second is a Singer and comes in its own cabinet. The lady I purchased it from recently bought it with her to Tasmania from Adelaide. I am unsure of any other details but I do have a serial number that I can use to research and try to find out about it.

I would really like to have these machines serviced and perhaps have the timber cleaned up a little, but I don't want to alter their appearance too much and wish to keep them genuine. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can clean them up a bit?

And lastly, another purchase and project ready to be started. I really must stop planning and buying for new projects and start some of them! I will tell you all about this new project another time.
Have a great week everyone,
 Cathyxx

15 comments:

Bev said...

Oh, I want a treadle! Good job! I'm doing that same quilt and a couple of Aussies are going to join in. We don't have a button or anything but we are all working on it together. I love it! I'm sure my blog readers are getting sick of seeing it because I've been posting every time I do a block-lol. Please show them as you get them done! If I knew how, I'd do a Flickr group for it. Love your fabrics!
Cheery wave!
Bev

Bev said...

Well, I feel stupid! You're my Aussie blog friend who's doing that pattern! LOLOLOLOLOL

Chookyblue...... said...

love the machines........they look wonderful.......

Rose Johnston said...

Hey Cathy, just looking at your fabric purchases......I have some meterage, a charm pack and some JR strips (which have been cut) of "Prairie Paisley" which is very similar to what you have purchased! They have been sitting in my cupboard forever but if u could use them for your new quilt, I would love to see them go to a new home......just let me know if you would like them :)

Susan said...

Your machines are just beautiful. They will be a gorgeous addition to your sewing room.

Tina said...

I have been searching for a treadle for the last year or so. I'm looking for a Singer made in the 40s or 50s and so far I'm enjoying the search and I know I'll come across the perfect one! Could you please continue to post any information about your machines as you come across it - how they work, servicing they might need, or whatever? Thanks!
P.S. Love the information you were able to get with the first one!

Roseanne said...

congratulation on your buying your new old machine they look great.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Lovely machines Cathy....I love that you want to respect them and keep them as authentic as possible! I love how you plan to buy new projects...I'm the same, I just love 'starting'!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I am jealous they are real beauties...

Fabric Quilt Shop said...

I love the treadle. I have one I need to do alittle work on that was my grandmothers but it is beautiful. When I was in Houston, Texas for Quilt Market this weekend I told my husband how I would love to have one of the long arm quilting machines they had there and he said I already had a sewing machine and didn't need another. Little do they understand what things are used for.

Bev said...

Cathy: I can't respond to your question about Farmer's Wife by blogger. My work stuff is on my computer and is not compatible with Outlook. Please email me at bev@44thstreetfabric.com and I'll fill you in! Thanks! Bev

Bev said...

Okay...I don't know if anybody is getting my messages or emails...sigh. The scoop on Farmer's Wife is that it's a GREAT book. Farmer's Wife magazine (in the 1920's) had a contest and this book came from that. It comes with a cd that you download on the computer and you can print out the patterns in the exact size. I paste them on template plastic and cut them out. I'm making my second round of blocks with the Sweetest Thing line. They are quick, easy and fun and tons of quilters have tutorials for the blocks. I haven't had to use a tutorial yet because the blocks are so easy. You would love it! BUT Leanne tells me that she isn't going to start Summer Celebration until you do. I guess we could work on Farmer's Wife together too. I've just made 2 of the blocks. I LOVE the templates from the cd. Send me your email addy! bev@44thstreetfabric.com

Cheery wave!
Bev

Bev said...

Gee...I can't even get you started on the Summer Celebration quilt. You will LOVE doing Farmers Wife blocks. They are fast and most of them are easy. The only difficult ones are the ones with lots of pieces because it's just a 6" block. I love the cd because the pattern pieces are the perfect size and you don't have to trace anything. I have about 25 of them done from bright fabrics but I don't like the look so have started over. I've done 4 and have 2 more cut out but there are 111 total. I don't know if I will make a quilt that big but would like to do a full size at least. I love doing these little blocks so much that I can see doing a few every week from now on. What colours will you use? I wish I had your email and then I wouldn't have to keep leaving giant comments on your blog-lol. Cheery wave! Bev

Marina said...

Hi Cathy :)

Your machine is a beauty!!
Have a great long weekend
Marina :)

Missy Shay said...

I love your machines! I have a treadle and two hand cranks! Here is a post about all my machines and a video I found on youtube on how to clean one. http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2012/10/cleaning-your-sewing-machine.html I have links under each picture. I'm still new to operating them, but have found that I love cleaning them, even though I am no expert! Go to treadleon.net for all the info you will ever need on people powered sewing machines! They also have an email list where you can go and ask questions. If you are on FB, here is a great group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/43656381612/ to download manuals for your singer you can got to singer http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals I can answer some of your questions, I love gojo to clean my machines with. missysaprons@gmail.com I hope this helps!